The following principles are core to the Development Partner Approach. It provides a framework for the mining industry that moves it from:
- Being known as the “isolated extractive” industry to the “resource development” industry.
- Cost and production measurement to a long-term, value-creation culture.
- Short-term profit to long-term equity.
- Operational risk management to sustainable development.
- “Check the box” procedure-driven engagement to ongoing, meaningful and substantive collaboration.
- One-dimensional technical managers to leaders who can navigate the risks and opportunities presented by geopolitical, environmental, governmental, social and economic issues.
- Standalone sustainability technocrats to integrated systems thinkers.
- Prescribed, closed, linear, formulaic approaches changing to ensuring creativity and innovation through inclusion of diverse world views.